STATE THESPIAN OFFICERS
Congratulations to the 2017-2018 Student Thespian Officers!
|Student Thespian Officer||School|
|Elam Blackwell *||Kempner High School|
|*International Thespian Officer|
|Zachary Boylan||Ridge Point High School|
|Carson Cook||McKinney Boyd High School|
|Aurora Cutright||Port Neches Groves High School|
|Corbin Hill||Corsicana High School|
|Jena Hinton||Foster High School|
|Ahreaile Holly||G W Carver High School|
|Heather Howton||Red Oak High School|
|Nick Marquez||Midway High School|
|Rachel Meltzer||The Woodlands High School|
|Destiny Sailors||Pottsboro High School|
|Natalie Shipley||Stephen F. Austin High School|
|Samuel Snyder||Celina High School|
|Matthew Whyte||Sandra Day O'Connor High School|
|Aleis Work||Vista Ridge High School|
|Carson Zoch||Cypress Ridge High School|
What IS an STO and who can be a STO Member?
The STO's job is to plan, host, and manage the upcoming Texas State Thespian Festival. The STO also serve as advocates for their fellow High School Thespians
Any freshman, sophomore or junior who is an inducted Thespian and is in good standing with his/her troupe may run for office. The student must be prepared to work hard for their fellow Texas Thespians. Only one student per school may run.
How do I become an STO?
- The STO candidate will be nominated by their Troupe Director. After that has occurred, the candidate will complete all application questions via the form below. This must be completed and submitted by October 28, 2016.
- All candidates are required to enroll and participate in the Leadership Workshop. Registration for the workshop is done through the online registration process. All candidates will be required to assist the current STO in various festival activities.
- Students must submit a video response to the application and upload it to YouTube.
- You will video yourself answering all the questions on the application below as if you are being interviewed.
- Send the YouTube link for private viewing by the committee to Nicole Morgan.
- Once Troupe Directors have seen the video, they should send a recommendation to Nicole Morgan.
- There is no general campaigning to become a member of the STO. After applications and qualifications are reviewed, a vote of the incoming officers will be taken by the current officers and sponsors on Friday evening of the Festival.
What are the expectations of the STO?
- To serve Texas Thespians for one year
- To attend various meetings throughout the year
- Transportation and hotel costs are your responsibility
- Must have the ability to stay in constant communication with fellow STO members, regional students, the adult board, and Thespians in general via email and phone
- Must meet monthly deadlines and have good time management skills
- Must be proactive and responsible
- Encouraged to travel to surrounding schools to see shows and support the Thespian troupes in his/her region
- Must serve as an example of the ideal Thespian
- Read the STO Bylaws here
- Complete the online application below
- Submit your recommendation letters from your troupe director or your principal
- Arrive at the Omni Hotel, Dallas between 8:00-10:00am on Wednesday, November 30 to attend the STO meeting
- Attend the MANDATORY STO Intensive Board Retreat in the summer each year
- Attend the MANDATORY Board Planning Meeting, typically in September each year
- Flexibility, Professionalism, and Leadership skills are a must
- Plan to arrive at Texas Thespian Festival one to two days early
- Constant communication is a MUST
- Keep a positive attitude, respect for your peers, the adults and theatre
What is the responsibility of the Troupe Director if his/her Thespian is elected to the STO?
- Moral support and troupe support of the Student Thespian Officer member
- Through the troupe (if possible), it is suggested to provide financial assistance for lodging and transportation for STO member
- Act as a school liaison
- Troupe directors must work STO stations at Texas Thespian Festival
#BeALeader - read What is a Leader? to see if you have what it takes!
For more specific information, see the rubric.
Ready to apply? Fill out the State Thespian Officer Application