COMPETITIONS :: SHORT FILM
2015 National Qualifier- Short Film "Jamie" by Marisa Emiliani and Danish Nelson, Troupe 7186, William B. Travis HS
Film Submission Deadline - October 28, 2016 Register through Cvent online registration.
Short Film Assessment Form
No single student may enter more than one National Qualifying Event.
In Short Film, the skills that will be measured are:
The ability to create opening and closing titles, credits, and graphics that orient the viewer to the story
The ability to visually develop a story with dialogue
Camera, lighting, and sound use
Editing, including scene length and flow
The emotional and physical believability of the acting
The filmmaker’s use of film elements to create a successful product.
1. Films can be no longer than five minutes in length.
2. Films must be of original content and may be a collaboration among entrants.
Short Film Execution
Entrant must demonstrate:
• Proper use of title cards and credits within the five-minute time limit
• Properly executed camera angles and shot variation to enhance the storyline and finished product
• Control over lighting exposures for clarity, storytelling, and a professional finished product
• The ability to capture, record, and manipulate all audio aspects of your production
• Controlled and manufactured editing choices that enhance the overall storytelling
• The ability to complete a storyline which includes a clear arc (beginning, middle, and end).
• Music must either be original or documented public domain material.
• Material created by entrants that is deemed by the adjudicator(s) to be obscene or disruptive may receive lower ratings or, in some extreme cases, may result in disqualification.
3. The films will be viewed and critiqued by the judges prior to the Thespian Festival.
- All Texas Thespian Film Entries must be uploaded to a YouTube channel for judging.
- Mark your video's YouTube privacy settings as either Public or Unlisted so the URL can be shared with judges.
- Do not select Private or the judges will be unable to view your film.
- Register in CVent to sign up for this event.
- Submit the URL of your YouTube video here.
- Failure to do so will disqualify the participant.
- If you do not have access to YouTube, please contact Kendra Willeby at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. National Qualifying Short Films will be shown at a screening at Festival. The film will stand alone, i.e., the entrant will not have to make any type of presentation. The film will be discussed and openly critiqued by one of the judges. Critique sheets will be placed in school folders toward the end of festival.
• If the film receives an overall superior rating at the state level, it may be uploaded to YouTube for national judging.
• Mark your video’s YouTube privacy settings as either Public or Unlisted so the URL may be shared with judges (do not select Private or the judges will be unable to view the film).
• Use the form at schooltheatre.org/shortfilm submission to submit the URL on YouTube; all fields are required.
• The films will be viewed and critiqued by the judges prior to the Thespian Festival.
• At the International Thespian Festival, the film will be:
o Shown in a teaching workshop, and will stand alone (i.e. the entrant will not have to make any type of presentation)
o Discussed and openly critiqued by one of the judges, who will give the entrant the critique sheets completed by all of the judges.